Saturday, December 11, 2010

I SHOW YOU out of order!: A Few Words in regard to my Undying Love for the Films of Al Pacino

Who can say why, every 6 months or so, this seems to happen? Scroll with me, if you will, to an entry from June, almost to the day, wherein I completely go hog-wild for the films of Russell Crowe.

Peanuts.

Now of course you do not need to hear it from me; we all know that Al Pacino is one of the greatest actors alive today and even on most people's the "most awesome actors ever" short lists. We know he has won all sorts of awards for his talent, that comedians consider an Al Pacino impression an important thing to have under one's belt, and that he's cool enough to live his own life how he wants to and not feel the need to crow about himself to the whole world in tabloids and all of that nonsense.

So there's really no need for you to read any of this, I just want to ramble on for a bit because I am getting a cold, I can't concentrate on linguistics anymore, and I am waiting for this handy dandy NyQuil to kick in so I can stop sniffing like a coke fiend and be ready to hit the books tomorrow bright and early.

I saw Scent of a Woman for the first time last weekend, that was pretty fantastic and I have to say I get the odd feeling that that's the exact personality I'm going to have later in life. Not suicidal I hope, and hopefully not uttering strange noises like "hoo-hah" every five seconds, but having snarky comebacks, smart and to-the-point frank observations on the bullshittiness of life, not taking crap from anyone, screaming whenever the hell I feel like it and watching people cower in fear. And having something worthwhile to say while screaming at that.

...wait, that's a LOT of Pacino's characters. Maybe that's why I love him. And why I went on to watch all the other ones I haven't seen, such as Insomnia, Dog Day Afternoon, Heat (GOD is that ever a good one. Please see it if you haven't. I thought it was just a simple cops and robbers but it's more), Glengarry Glen Ross, Devil's Advocate (sexy), Carlito's Way (kinda boring and also I think he doesn't look very good with a beard), and Donnie Brasco. Also had to rewatch my faves The Insider, and of course my ultimate fave--we all know it--Scarface. Of course, I'm not done; still have to watch quite a few more, but after all I am in grad school and, after all, it's almost finals week.

Honest to God I am not trying to make a professional movie review out of this. It would be a lot more coherent and insightful if I were. Screw coherent anyway--have you ever listened to our honoree do an interview or accept an award? Talk about rambling and changing subjects faster than bothering to finish sentences. But that's how it goes when you are a genius, I suppose.

I think part of why I am really enjoying his films right now too is the raw emotion displayed--big or small (usually both and nothing in between, ha ha. A lot of times you have to adjust the volume on your TV when youre watching his movies.) that he can drum up for a role. I never acted to speak of myself, but the little I did do I utilized method acting principles too. It was the only thing that really made sense to me and the only procedure I really believe in, because method acting has us find that these emotions are inside of all of us, somewhere. Al Pacino is able to utilize method acting, bring those human emotions we all have from somewhere inside himself in such an effortless way, it makes me feel that I AM his characters. And I want to channel them sometimes. Isn't there a little "Say hello to my little friend" in all of us? In the last week I can count at least three times when I was feeling frustrated and wish I could just have Al's voice for 5 seconds so I could say the line, "This is such a crock of SHIT." Of course the non-rage moments are very important too. I almost cried during the scene in Dog Day Afternoon, when he is on the phone with his ex-boyfriend. That scene and the one with his wife in the hospital waiting room toward the end of Heat, and his phone conversation with Russell Crowe's character in The Insider when he tells him "Guys like you are in short supply," those are so human and so real, right down to a roll of the eyes and yet delivered like an actor--not just mumbled or thrown away. Giving credit where credit is due, those scenes were also masterfully written.

I've stopped making sense, I realize. I am too tired and about ready to sleep but I just felt like going on a tangent. I do this every few months I guess.

Last thoughts though: Al always seems to be chewing gum or smacking his lips in his movies, at least the later ones. Thoughts on that? Also, I think he's pretty sexy--It's the gravelly voice that could pop off on you any second, his badassness, and the fact that so much power comes under not that much height (I'm baised, I know-- being vertically challenged myself I know all too well how much fun it is to show them all the fire and vitriol hidden in a shrimpy stature). And hey now, before you go off and judge me, remember that so many people still think Sean Connery is sexy and he's a full decade older than Mr. Pacino. As Goldie Hawn said (in reference to Connery) in The First Wives Club, "He's 300 years old but he's still a stud!"

And with that, I'm going to bed. Goodnight, all!!




No comments: