Wednesday, October 29, 2008

All cancers should be created equal?

I was just thinking about something today since it's Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I was happy to find a message board that echoed my maybe-not-completely-politically-correct thoughts and feelings--whatever, I don't care. Read on. Having those pink ribbons shoved down my throat everywhere I look this month makes me feel a combination of gladness, jealousy, and anger. My comments/reactions are in bold.

I guess I'm not the only one who is suffering from compassion fatigue about breast cancer. YES, we are all aware of breast cancer now. I wish I had breast cancer instead of the rare terminal cancer that I suffer from. There are no foundations for bile duct cancer. No support groups. No pink ribbons. No 5K walks to raise money. No "buy pink" products.
I like the American Cancer Society because they support the fight against ALL types of cancer and don't discriminate in favor of one or another. I'm sorry for every one who has to fight cancer of any kind.

My wife has head and neck cancer that is now in her lungs and we have been fighting it for almost 9 years alone. There is no one out beating a drum to help her. All you ever hear about is breast cancer this and breast cancer that. Even in the oncology clinic its all the reading material is about breast or prostate cancer. People either are insensitive to you or don't know what to say at all...I wish that all these celebrities would band have shows about cancer in general instead of just jumping on the band wagon of breast cancer.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to those with Breast Cancer; but, I am a woman in my 40's who was diagnosed in July 2007 with Rectal Cancer and from day one I have not been able to understand why Breast Cancer gets sooo much more attention. [well it's because it's more common...] ALL Cancers are horrible and everyone who is diagnosed with whatever type of cancer is terrified and forced to face their own mortality. All loved ones, co-workers, family, friends, etc., react the same to every type of cancer. In short, if we are talking emotional affects, all cancers need to be treated as one.

I am a cancer survivor - Uterine cancer. Why is every article that addresses cancer in women geared toward breast cancer. Mine was just as emotional and devastating.

I do agree breast gets all the attention,but hey if it gets people to see Cancer is out there and brings in funding I guess we should just hope it filters down to the rest of us! Yeah, maybe they can do a percentage thing, like if 30% of people have prostate cancer then they can have 30% of the funding. Wait....


I realize this all probably sounds pissy and whiny of me. I don't really care right now. I recognize, of course, that a lot more people have breast cancer than fibrosacroma. So of course it's going to get more money, and more attention. I guess just seeing all of those pink ribbons and balloons at the grocery store, and those Yoplait yogurt lids makes me think about what would have happened to Mommy if she'd only had a cancer that got that much funding for research. It seems like with breast cancer there;s always some experimental new thing that can be tried. After mom had her bouts with the usual radiation and chemo, that was it. No new options. Just a slow gradation of painkillers from Tylenol to methadone.

I donate for cancer every time I'm asked. But I donate less to breast because a ton more people are giving for that because it's so widely publicized. Readers out there, don't hate me for this...I just think it's only fair.





1 comment:

Sara said...

Hi there! Could you point me in the direction of the message board you visited with all these comments? One of the comments you posted referenced bile duct cancer, and there is a foundation and support group for this cancer. I would like to forward the information to the original poster. Thank you!

And I agree - it is frustrating to see so much go into breast cancer. Especially when you hear that they are getting federal funding for a study on yoga and breast cancer, while other cancers are struggling just to get funding for fundamental research on how the cancer develops. The breast cancer community is a highly motivated advocacy community, and with many survivors, it is not shocking to see what they have been able to accomplish. Kudos to them, and good blueprint for others.

Please email me at sara.hinkley@cholangiocarcinoma.org

Thank you!